New President for Leading Gas Detection Manufacturers

An explosion at a block of flats in Shrewsbury which reduced the building to rubble and seriously injured several people was probably caused by a gas leak, according to detectives investigating the incident.

The blast, which happened on Bridge Street on Sunday January 3rd, destroyed the city centre building.

A woman in her 20s suffered serious burns when she was blown out of a first floor window and a number of people had to be freed after being trapped under the rubble.

Superintendent Peter Lightwood of West Mercia Police commented that it was a surprise that no one had lost their life and described the scene as one of “total devastation”.

He added: “We are aware the casualties woke to the smell of gas.”

A spokesperson for the fire service reported that there had been “quite a significant gas leak” but commented that this could have been caused by the explosion.

In December, part of Tunbridge Wells in Kent was sealed off to motorists and a shopping centre in the town was forced to close following an underground gas leak.

Posted by Claire ManningADNFCR-1845-ID-19537751-ADNFCR

Leave a Reply